Monday, April 4, 2016

Free Post

So for this free post I kinda wanted to talk abut social context in the media we consume and how we might interpret the day in the life of a character of a movie that we might see on t.v, movie or in any media.  For example, I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead and in this show it gives you a day in the life of a many characters in a zombie apocalypse world, like how characters make decisions to survive. However, if there was a lesson on zombies in class and how people will survive if they were in an apocalypse I wouldn't be as interested because  in class we will have to sit an learn what the teacher wants us to learn and maybe right down notes for a grade.  But, if I am at home I have time to kick up my feet and enjoy.


The same thing with music. I remember one time I thought this Kendrick Lamar song was so goo it had a message telling everyone to love yourself because nobody else will love you like you love you. (The song is called real https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66zZ_kgQ1Ng take a listen). So I'm thinking that the song is so good  and my dad never heard of Kendrick Lamar so I was like i'm just going to let my dad listen. Towards the end of the song my dad is like "There are a lot of curse words in it... Kendrick  says the N word a lot" (but this is coming from the same guy that listens to Wutang.)  Once  I  went back listen I noticed there were a lot of curse words and stuff  in the song. Another story was when I was in my dad's car and  my dad has a AUX cord, my dad suggested to me to play whatever I like... I didn't, I played some Bob Marley on Pandora  because I didn't want to sit in the car all awkward playing songs that I like because half the songs I like have curse words in it. However, later on once we were a little close to home he was like "Why are you playing reggae all this time" I was just like fine I play the songs I like and of course the song "IDFWU" came on by Big Sean and it had so many curse words in it I was like cringing because I was like this song had to play while I was on this trip back home with him.

It just goes to show one may seem more like entertainment and the other may ask you to do more thinking. Depending on where you see each one, you will experience each situation  differently. 

1 comment:

  1. That's funny, good observations! I remember being like that when I lived with my mom in high school. I used to listen to a lot of "nu metal" at that time like Korn and Limp Bizkit (I know, I know...) and God only knows what my mom thought. Every now and then she would echo your dad, like "Why are they so angry? Why do they need to say GD so much?" Etc. I was always like 1/2 awkward about it and 1/2 proud that I listened to music my parents hated.

    ReplyDelete