Monday, March 28, 2016

How, if at all, do you consider yourself as “active”?


I answered number 1.
Honestly I am not active when I watch television, reading a book, or playing video games. I am however really active when it comes to listening to music. Once I listen to any type of music I try to find more and more music that sounds somewhat like the music that I am listening to. Currently I starting to listening to old school R&B like Erka Badu Bag Lady and old hip hop like a  De La Soul ,Tribe Called Quest, Diddy, Biggie, Nas, Tupac, Eazy E,. I tend to find myself looking at old interviews of these artist because a lot of these artist were so wise and so ahead of there time its honestly heart breaking because some of these artist that I named are now gone and died way to soon. Not many artist like Tupac, Eazy E, Biggie or even Nas can be duplicated an now were stuck with  music that we can't barley understand and not many artist are confident about talking about issues like how the artist back in the day use to. Anyways i'm getting off subject, I also listen to a lot of 80's and even early 2000's R&B   music but I always listened to different types of music, since I was a sophomore in high school so I guess me listening to these type of genres is not all that surprising. But ever since I watched Straight Outta Compton movie I needed to do more research when it comes to hip hop and music in general because there was so much that I didn't know. For example, Nina Simone once I saw  the Netflix movie documentary about her  I felt that she was not just a singer she was a poet, she was outspoken, and a person that gave African Americans a voice of what was going on then in that time. I find myself always active when it comes to finding my type of music and finding artist that I gravitate towards because of their voice, their individuality and the way the beat is once they begin rapping or singing. 

Here is a song that I really like with Tribe called quest. (I also really like the video also)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TLWqn82J4







2 comments:

  1. It is interesting how you can connect from one music to similar ones. Also researching and reflecting on their past interviews make you an informed audience, which is a good thing. This behavior enables you to take active role not just in the listening of their songs, but also know more about their lives as music legends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is such a fluid media. It can be used in so many different ways and mean so many different things to people. It is all about perception and when we become active when viewing, reading, or engage in media what we get out of it can vary from just pure entertainment to insightful purpose.

    ReplyDelete