Sunday, January 31, 2016

Rated PG-13. The Boy

Over the past weekend I went to my friends house because we haven't seen each other in a long time. As I went to her house and walked inside her and her sister were planing to go to the movies to go see the movie "The Boy" that is a horror movie. I've heard about it but I wasn't really interested but I haven't seen my friend in a while so she invited me to come and go with them to a movie grill. A movie grill if you don't know is a movie theater that gives you food while you watch the movie. 

SO, I purchased my ticket online at their house and we got on the road. But, until I get to finally explaining me watching the movie I should explain what the movie is about if you as a reader never heard of it. Basically, a women named Greta comes to a mansion house filled with two people an old man and old women and the Greta's job is to babysit there young son, BUT the young boy is a potential doll. Of course this women is not taking any of the old men and women seriously and laughs at the fact she has to babysit a doll. Throughout the movie she has to obey rules to take care of the doll like..you have to wake him up around 10 am..make sure he gets something to eat don't leave him alone you know keep him entertained and make sure there is no guest in the house. OF COURSE she doesn't obey any of the rules at all, tossing the doll every where and not putting him where he needs to be. But, finally the doll finally starts moving by its self and threatening her but let me not spoil anything for you.



Anyways, lets get back to me getting to the theater and watching the movie. We got to the theater and took our seat and got our food and such. But as I was watching this movie I kinda didn't know why this movie was rated PG-13 but as it gradually moved forward in the story I could see why it was considered a PG-13.  Only two was three or three scenes that were bad for some people under age in one scenes she was in the shower taking a shower naked and the second scene she was about to have sex with a guy that works there that usually gives grocery's to the old men and women..and finally a last scene where a man was holding her inappropriately. 

I know that PG-13 means may be inappropriate for 13 year olds or under but the movie was defiantly not that bad but I could understand that it has to be PG-13 for young people to watch. It could shape the political process of PG- 13 for those scenes but only those three scenes but overall for me however I don't think the movie was all that bad and it was a little scary, many jumps scares and A HUUUUUGE plot twist towards the end. I only suggest watching this movie when it gets on Netflix because it wasn't really worth going to the theaters for. But I do suggest watching it if you like movies that have jump scares and plot twist. 




HERE is a trailer link for you to watch! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPxybc_aJWU

4 comments:

  1. The rating system is so strange and ambiguous. Like we talked about in class, blood, gore, and violence seems to be okay and relatively accepted, while sexual scenes and depictions are what cause a rating to go from PG-13 to R all the way to NC-17. So its really weird to me that based on the scenes you mentioned that they would keep the rating at PG-13.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ratings can be so ambiguous! It floors me how I can view a film and think "wow, that got an R rating or wow that got a PG-13 rating" when I feel that it's "not that bad". Your experience here to, I think echoes this idea that ratings can be inconsistent - that there is no definitive by the book ruling as to how a film gets rated the way it gets rated. It's wild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol thanks for telling me ... Definitely won't pay to see that! But I agree... There are some thing that come out that don't deserve to have the rating they do but I think it has to do with what audience they are trying to get to watch and the money ! Pg-13 is where all the money is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "and finally a last scene where a man was holding her inappropriately" as "...a man was holding her hand inappropriately," and I was like how do you inappropriately hold someone's hand and get a PG-13 rating?? I wonder what effect having nonhuman characters in a film has on ratings. If this were a child and not a doll, would it be different? Can you do more or less with a doll? This gets into the question of animated films and "cartoon violence" too. It would be neat to look into how the MPAA deals with humans vs. nonhumans.

    ReplyDelete